Regional Psychosocial Support Initiative (REPSSI)
Opportunity closing date:
Friday, October 25, 2013
The Regional Psychosocial Support Initiative (REPSSI) is a leading African psychosocial support organisation working in thirteen countries in East and Southern Africa. REPSSI’s vision is that all communities and families nurture, protect and empower their children and youth. REPSSI partners with governments, development partners, international organisations and NGOs to provide programmes that strengthen communities’ and families’ competencies to promote the psychosocial wellbeing of children and youth.
REPSSI seeks to appoint a Research and Development Officer which is a regional position, based at the Secretariat in Johannesburg, South Africa.
In consultation with the Head: Research, the Research and Development Officer is responsible for designing and implementing research projects and evidence-based advocacy initiatives pertaining to psychosocial support and REPSSI strategic and programmatic approaches to strengthening psychosocial support for children and youth. Additionally, the R&D Officer is required to support REPSSI organizational/programmatic capacity for effective development and integration of an evidence base within its daily operations.
The R&D Officer will report directly to the Head: Research. All decisions affecting REPSSI programme implementation will be made in consultation with the Executive Committee, through the Head: Programmatic Affairs to whom the Head – Research reports.
- Develop, implement and manage quantitative and qualitative research projects in countries where REPSSI research is being undertaken;
- Design and implement rigorous large-scale surveys and studies as appropriate;
- Plan, organize and supervise the work of in-country project teams on research projects;
- Develop the capacity of data collectors for each identified research project;
- Organise data capturing and analysis;
- Prepare research project reports for internal and external stakeholders as agreed;
- Write research reports to influence the policy and practice of governments, civil society and others with influence to maintain and improve the psychosocial wellbeing of children and youth;
- Write publications for peer-reviewed journals;
- Contribute to the production of concept notes and grant proposal writing using evidence from research.
- PhD in social sciences, public health or a related field;
- Minimum of five years management with an international development agency or NGO, and at least two years experience of empirical research, data analysis and writing advocacy materials and peer reviewed publications;
- Excellence in written English;
- Practical and theoretical understanding of mental health and/or psychosocial support;
- Excellent oral presentation, communication and networking skills
- Strong established reputation and relationships within academic and researcher circles;
- Strong data analysis skills using SPSS or STATA;
- Experience in qualitative research and systematic reviews would be an advantage.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application – NGO Pulse Portal.
Should you not receive a response from REPSSI within two weeks of application closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
Please note this is a local position that does not come with any transfer/relocation benefits should the successful incumbent not be based in Johannesburg.
REPSSI reserves the right not to fill the position.
For more about the Regional Psychosocial Support Initiative, refer to www.repssi.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.